Saturday, 24 January 2009

"Unfold Identity"

Slowly but surely I am getting into a set of considering myself as someone who can express feelings and thoughts visually through creating.

Last project was about Identity. I've already showed the concept in one of my previous posts and today I can reveal my final piece. Amazing thing with creating is that this is a constantly changing process. It changes minute by minute, hour by hour as you go deeper into its core. Sometimes idea that I start from can be seen in the final piece, and sometimes the final piece will be nothing like the start idea which was only the beginning of the journey into unknown...in search of truth that is hidden and kept way below your conciousness.

My starting idea was painting, but at the same time I felt that painting was not enough...I needed something that I can touch, show or hide...just like we all do with our identities. Most of the time we show only pieces of ourselves.






acrylics 70cm x70cm

(small images were taken by my phone camera hence difference in colours...)

One of the questions I was asked when I had my crit was "if my paintings were in the gallery would I like the viewers to touch them?" Of course I would. Every time I'm in the gallery or exhibition one of the basic things is, that I want to touch the painting or sculpture...There is something in touching...it's like getting in touch with artist who created the piece.

Of course, I realise that it would wore off paintings in a very short time...but at times when we can record our creations with cameras they can survive centuries as images.

What I am trying to say is that I would love viewers to interact with paintings, sculptures etc, because a special bound is created by touching, and as more of a painting is revealed, you have to think more and it gives you different experiences every time...


Joy Journal: "good film on TV in the evening"

7 comments:

kazumiwannabe said...

That's great - powerful effect! You're self portrait below is lovely, too.
There's an award on my blog for you, if you want to pick it up : )!

Mary Timme said...

Very evocative of reality and surreal-ness all in one. I love that you also want to touch things. Sometimes it is just nearly overpowering isn't it>

bubblemunch said...

Found your site from the link you posted on EDM.
I've really enjoyed looking through your site.
Your identity project is a brilliant example of mixed media collage - I was disappointed only in that I couldn't enlarge the pictures to study them in more detail.

Anetka said...

thank you for your comments Kazumiwannabe and Mary:)
Bubblemunch - you can see bigger versions of the painting on my flickr site :)

Nao said...

This is fabulous!

"JeanneG" said...

I really like these. Especially the ones with two separate-looking pieces. Very clever way to do a self portrait. My usual way is to do pieces and not enough you can piece together. Good job.

Tammie Lee said...

I am so glad you visited me. Sometimes I get lost in blogland and regret not visiting artists I enjoy, you are one of them! This is a wonderful series of art. I sense you are on to something, we only show parts of ourselves... at one time. Is it possible to show all of ourselves at one time? Hum...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© All images, text and ideas remain the copyright of Aneta Szkudlarek
Please do not copy or use in any format without the written permission of the artist.

Inspiration

Loading...

Visitors