Wednesday, 7 May 2008

few thoughts

Thinking about my last gallery escapade I’ve noticed something. Among all the artists works I’ve seen I liked one or two the most. One of them is JMW Turner. I like his paintings as it’s a pure game of light and colours. I went once to see his exhibition. But to be honest…it was toooooo much, toooo many paintings of the same sort. So after one hour of looking closely, I’ve had enough and just skipped quickly the rest of it.
But when I was at Tate Britain and I saw his paintings among other artists it was amazing feeling. First of all….I knew who painted them (not personally but at least his name, as I am very forgetful and the only artists remember is Da Vinci, Rubens, Michael Angelo) so just imagine how happy I felt. Second of all, only then was I able to fully apprieciate his craft…only among other artists' works.
It’s very simple…I don’t really compete with other people who can draw or paint, I mean of course I wish I could paint or draw as easily but there is something more – I can appreciate and learn, and take from them only things that I want to use in my self expression, in my own art.
That’s why I think that the more people do art the better we all become, because we can learn from others, they inspire us, make us want to do more and more, to improve. Not only artists who paint or sketch that I learn from – these are people who perform, devote themselves to art, photographers, fashion designers, all of them give me small pieces from which I build my own art world. It’s like a puzzle to me.
So Turner – his paintings full of light games, Da Vinci – precise so accurate, proportions, Rubens – appreciation of all body volumes (the more the better), beauty in each and every human being, Michael Angelo – perfect body proportions etc. This is my view, my own world, my teachers:)


On Sunday when I was walking I found this feather (I was trying to work on shading at that time). It was there, on the pavement…just for me. How beautiful, how extraordinary…only God Himself could create something like this and yet…I can learn from Him. Great Creator.


JOY JOURNAL - "Today for a few moments I've accepted who I am, and where I am. It made me feel so peaceful inside, so happy."

10 comments:

E-J said...

It's a really nice sketch - and more textured and interesting than the feather itself!

Leslie said...

Very, very nice!!

juj said...

great story (and drawing) - an much appreciated for what I can learn from it. Thank you!

Linda Kay said...

Thank you for sharing your art talent.. I really like this feathers...
Linda Kay

Arty Velarde said...

awesome drawing!

Shirley said...

Your feathers are beautiful - and especially in black and shades of gray.

Christie said...

Gorgeous!

Shelly McC said...

Gorgeous sketch!

Ann said...

Wonderful drawing - and I enjoyed your insightful commentary too.

simplyred said...

Anetka, this is a beautiful, beautiful post and your sketch of the feather is so graceful and wonderful.

Your ideas on learning from the world around you in your artwork are something we should all practice. I really need to take to heart your philosophy of not competing with others but learning from them instead. I too often look at something done by people like you or Kate Johnson or many others and think, "I can never do that". When what I should be thinking is "That shadow technique is something I should try..." Part of being an artist is learning to see and your learning to see things in other's art that will help you in your own is great!

And I LOVE the way you've implemented your Joy Journal. What a great idea to make it part of your blog. Some of my items are just a little TOO personal to place on my blog but I think I might "steal" your idea and add a Joy Journal entry to my blog posts. Hope you don't mind my borrowing your idea!!

Ernie
Gypsy Gold Studio

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© All images, text and ideas remain the copyright of Aneta Szkudlarek
Please do not copy or use in any format without the written permission of the artist.

Inspiration

Loading...

Visitors