Thursday, 20 March 2008

neighborhood


Yes, it's me again. Today, I came up with a brilliant idea. I am going to sketch houses and corners of the road I currently live in, which I like the most. I'm gonna do that on my way back home from work (5 days a week = 5 sketches). The reason is simple. I always tell myself, I am going to draw later, tomorrow, next day, when I have more time...and it seems like I never do and I end up not doing anything...
Sad...
So the antidotum is one sketch on my way back home. Yesterday I've done this one. There were many people passing me by, looking over my shoulder what was it that I was doing. The owner of the house came out asking, what am I doing? So I said that I am just sketching her house. Why? she's asking "people don't do that!". So I said I liked her house, different from all London houses - totally detached and big! She was asking if I attended architecture Uni or something...so to calm her down I said yes I was a student of Kingston Uni of Art. Only after that she asked me to sit down comfortable and carry on. I said it was too cold, so I prefered standing.
Maybe I'll try one more sketch of this house and when I see her again then I'll show her.
I've done only pen sketches and finished colours at home. I must say that when it was only a pen sketch didn't look good, but now...I am quite happy with it:)
Great exercise to do for improving your colours:
Sit down in a room and start describing each and every thing in it naming them by colours (once you finish go to the other room, kitchen, office, waiting room, etc.). For example chair - burnt sienna, little bit of white and yellow ochre; walls - off white, white, touch of black; etc. Keep notes on this things, you can do it before your sketching sessions and it really helps to start up:) Once you get used to it you don't waste time on thinking which colour to mix...you just do it, it becomes your second nature.
My tutor at my evening classes asked us to practise this exercise his name is Dylan Stone, you can see a few pieces of his work on the internet though he hasn't got his web site yet.
So, Mark (http://www.markjustbecause.blogspot.com/) start off with this exercise and you'll see where it leads you:) You won't be able to stop:)
Remember: PLEASE WASTE ART MATERIALS:) (one of my favorite phrases by Danny Gregory).

7 comments:

Lisalou said...

Love the picture, love the story! Can't wait to see the rest of your neighborhood! Lisa

PamYla said...

Wow great looking house! Im sure she will love it when you show it to her

Barbara said...

That's a lovely painting! - Barbara

Quilt Knit said...

Wonderful story! It is a lovely painting and a lovely house.
Sherrie

Satu said...

Strong picture!

Alan said...

Well done all around....great start to a new project.

peachtreeart said...

I love your sketches...you've inspired me to do structures.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© All images, text and ideas remain the copyright of Aneta Szkudlarek
Please do not copy or use in any format without the written permission of the artist.

Inspiration

Loading...

Visitors