Wednesday, 19 March 2008

perfectionist / any suggestions??/ ...please...












Today is a BIG day. I am trying to "kill" perfectionist in me by publishing on my blog, sketches that my PERFECTIONIST would never publish or show to anyone.

First is a sketch of a woman waiting at Vision Express for her husband and daughter. Second sketch...me on a very rare occassion - hairdresser!!! I was so bored that I just took my Winsor & Newton sketchbook out, and there I am...this sketchbook is really small (4.32 x 6 inch), I am still trying to get used to it:) btw. it's my reflection in the mirror...if anyone asks

Now, third sketch - and listen to this - on the bus!!! I was brave again to sketch in public...for ten minutes. Now, is there anyone who can tell me, how to sketch and focus on it when you experience "travel sickness". Although I was proud I've done some sketches, I also felt sick!!! and I don't really want this little thing to put me off sketching on the bus! I had so much fun while sketching:)

So please - has anyone got suggestions???

thank you:)

Little something out of context...
I find that art…"the one that’s inside you, unmade is like a toothache…It’s always there distracting you. You’re always focused on that darn tooth. If you are painting, the painting is always with you, always posing the question "What’s next?" It wants your attantion. Unmade art will always pain and distract you- yes, even when you’re supposed to be listening to your child’s homework or focusing on world peace. Don’t get me wrong or understand me too quickly. Children matter. They deserve to be really listened to, and we cannot do that if our unmade art is still competing for our attantion. World peace matters, but you may not be able to do anything constructive about it today, while you can make art – and, in my opinion, if we put a little more energy into creation, we might put a little less into destruction. Maybe all you can do about world peace today is make some art and improve your own goddamn mood…what do you think?" Julia Cameron
the reason why it's only a little out of context is that I experience this feeling every day. I become miserable if I don't do just a little arty thing a day. Last night I was in my bed trying to fall asleep...forget it! I took my sketchbook out and filled with colours sketches of the faces I've done on the 16th...
Now, my sister might kill me because part face and girly sketch is hers...from photograph...:)

8 comments:

Alan said...

I did an EDM exercise last night..#1 to be exact because I have a lot of them to make up. I drew my left foot in ink. Not content to leave well enough alone I added watercolor to it. I was not satisfied at all with the result, but have been toying with putting it up on my blog to remind myself to let go an not to worry about bad days of drawing because there really aren't any bad days other than those without art.

Nan said...

Good for you for beating down the inner critic! They don't always know best.

I've heard ginger is good for motion sickness.

Just because said...

Shreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak! You're posting stuff that you don't want others to see? That takes guts! I've just been doodling the past few days and can't seem to get myself to post! Yes, my inner critic is screaming: "Ugly work, Mark. Don't post!" He won a few battles...

Mark

E-J said...

It's a horrible feeling putting artwork out in the open that you don't feel happy about ... Many of the small drawings in my hand*book journal are destined never to make my blog, and I think I feel better keeping some things hidden, but if you find it allows you to loosen up and be kinder to yourself then you should definitely share everything! I love your "bedtime" sketches.

I also identify with the Julia Cameron quote. I have just finished reading Eric Maisel's "The Van Gogh Blues" and he argues that since making art is a creative person's primary means of making *meaning* in their lives, it's not surprising that we don't feel right when we haven't done any artmaking. Always best to scratch that itch!

thermion7 said...

Good job! A friend of mine once declared that "she is a writer" not because she was ever published, or won critical acclaim... but because she writes everyday. Likewise with art; we are all artists... not because you sell our work, or because you have a studio, or are classically trained. It's because you draw every chance you get. It's because when you have a pen in hand... no piece of paper is safe.
I draw on my train ride to work... I usually don't post them, but I personally get something out of it (not just sick). I will make more of an effort to post my daily scribbles, and tell my inner critic to shut-up. Your Blog title says it all!

Ann said...

Your sketches are great and good for you moving out of your comfort zone! Thanks also for the Julia Cameron quote - powerful stuff.

kmuhlstadt said...

I know that feeling. I try to post everything...good or bad. But it's still hard.
Now for motion sickness...I know no one likes to take medicine but I get car sick real bad and non-drowsy dramamine does the trick. It can be expensive so I get the generic (Meclizine 25mg)from the pharmacy - they can order it and usually it's a whole lot cheaper, if you can't find it on the shelf just ask. I take 1 an hour before I take a long ride and when I'm done, I feel great. Hope that helps

Amy said...

I think it's great that you put some stuff up on your blog that you aren't satisfied with. It helps encourage those of us that aren't always satisfied with our own stuff, that we don't fall into the trap of thinking everyone else always does work they're proud to put out there. That being said, I thought your sketches were great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© All images, text and ideas remain the copyright of Aneta Szkudlarek
Please do not copy or use in any format without the written permission of the artist.

Inspiration

Loading...

Visitors